About the parents who get to take every weekend off.
Why do I care?
Date nights with your significant other are kind of a big deal, so what would you do if you could have one every. single. weekend? We were curious how this was possible too.
Tell me more.
The Finch Family has an arrangement where they get to drop off their daughter Violet with her grandparents each and every weekend. In addition to that, their extended family has a regular schedule of helping them out during the week.
Admittedly, we’re feeling pretty envious, not gonna lie.
Rachel Finch, who is apparently known for her stint on the Australian version of Dancing with the Stars and being a Miss Universe runner-up, is quoted as saying, “Every weekend (Violet) goes to Mish’s mum’s house, and we get our weekend to ourselves. I think that’s incredibly healthy for the relationship. And on Sunday, when we pick her up, we have 100 per cent energy back.”
You can imagine the commentary that has come from other parents. As for us, we don’t begrudge them their time, we just long for regular date nights ourselves. Who’s with us?
Put Your Best Foot Forward
Are you a working mom in need of a regroup? Us too.
We love a good reminder of those key strategies, routines, and hacks that make life as a working mom easier and more enjoyable. Forbes magazine recently featured key secrets for thriving as a working mom, so naturally, we clicked on that link. Our favorite tips included:
- Diversify your life. Putting all your eggs in one basket, as they say, is not the best plan – and that applies here too. Work is important, but so is life with your children and spouse. Finding time to nurture your friendships, and prioritizing your schedule to include exercise, among other things is also an important element of diversifying your life. Balance may feel elusive, but it’s worth the effort.
- Decide what your non-negotiables are and make them sacred. This article points out that the modern career rarely stays within the traditional 9-5 work day, so you have to keep your boundaries clear.
- Keep a ‘magic hour’. Use this hour to accomplish goals that need your undivided attention. Most people choose the hour before their family wakes, while some use the evening. Regardless, they find it their most productive and relaxing time of day. Moms report that by keeping this hour, they are more equipped to tackle the day-to day routines of their family.
- Use the ‘Golden Triangle’ method for tackling errands. Only shop and utilize resources that are within the triangle of your home, your kid’s school, and work. This will maximize your time while tackling your to-do list. And, the rest can all be handled by Amazon.com. We’re just sayin’
- Let go of guilt and stop striving for perfection. Allowing guilt and the need for perfection to creep in will only hinder your progress and ability to be content with your life as it is now. Let those dishes go, and don’t give in to the pressure of the latest PTA volunteer request – it’s not worth the self-doubt and/or cricticism. There’s always the next time.
We all know our budget dictates the amount of flexibility we have in life. If the budget is under control, we aren’t making decisions out of fear or scarcity. According to one mom who decided to go from working mom to stay-at-home mom one way to make a big shift in your budget is to control your weekly grocery bill. Stacey of The Soccer Mom Blog needed to get her budget in line to make this family shift happen, so she broke down her budget and discovered that her family’s lack of meal planning resulted in needless spending on food. She has since tackled this issue in a couple of ways:
- Meal planning. In Stacey’s family, each meal throughout the week is planned by sitting down with her husband on Sunday’s to make a mutually agreeable menu.
- Couponing. Stacey admits this started off as an experiment. She wasn’t sure the regular follow-through of the couponing process would work for her, but it came together, and as a result, she has seen even more savings.
Consistent planning, flexibility in her weekly menu, and a willingness to avoid impulsive purchases have been the keys to her success when it comes to Stacey’s monthly food budget. With this in mind, we wanted to give you some key coupon tips and sites for making this budget-makeover strategy work in your life:
- Get to know your local store coupon policies to maximize savings. We found this comprehensive list on All You to get you started. By geting to know which stores allow a store coupon in conjunction with a brand coupon, you can maximize your savings.
- The two more expensive items on a grocery list? Meat and anything organic. The Krazy Coupon Lady put together a list for both with many of the brands that offer up regular coupons from their sites. You’ll want to bookmark these: MEAT Coupons and ORGANIC food coupons.
- Buzzefeed offers up valuable tips for modern ways to save and coupon, all of which won’t require a ton of time, but will result in savings from your grocery bill to travel. Who knew you should buy plane tickets on Tuesdays at 3pm to get the best fare? We definitely plan to test that one out.
Hack it Up
Sleeping on a plane is quite the feat. We all have our strategies, but perhaps you haven’t thought of everything just yet. This infographic sums up tried and true strategies and tips for getting sleep while in flight.
- Keep your regular routine for bedtime. If you wash your face and brush your teeth at night and you’re on a red eye, then do the same prior to attempting some shut eye.
- Strategize ahead of time. Choose a flight that coordinates with your normal sleep patterns, choose a seat that favors the side you normally sleep on, and wear yourself out ahead of your flight so you’re plenty tired – all of these efforts will yield better sleep on the plane.
- Bring core supplies. Facilitate sleep on a plane by using an eye mask to shut out light, ear plugs or noise canceling headphones for sound, and wear socks on your feet with comfy lounge wear so you don’t get cold.
- Be smart about your sleep positions. Use your luggage as a footrest, a neck pillow facing towards the front for better sleep support, and consider using the tray to lay your head down comfortably if you’re in the middle seat. We recommend sanitizing wipes for the tray…but that’s just us.
“Once you go great, you never go good, you never go back, even if you could.”
Our new mantra for tackling the ol’ budget and career-life balance – thanks Iggy.
Did you enjoy what you read? Please share us with your friends! We’re brand new and would love to have them read us. Help grow the village.
Did we miss a great story? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org