Everyone is Talking
Why do I care?
It’s a reminder that we can’t take one day or one minute with our loved ones for granted.
Tell me more.
At the end of an otherwise regular evening of dancing and hanging out on Saturday night into the early hours of Sunday, nearly 50 people were gunned down and another 53 were injured. This was done by a lone wolf, Omar Mateen, who entered Pulse nightclub in Orlando, FL on a mission to kill. Nearly one in three patrons at the club were either killed or injured during this horrible event – an astounding number, marking it the worst mass casualty event since 9/11.
We’re pretty sure you’ve heard many of the details, but here are a few key links where you can read or watch more, should you want to do so.
- CNN gives a comprehensive overview of the events, NPR breaks it down based on what we know today, and the New York Times offers maps and quotes from patrons inside the venue at the time.
- Profiles of the victims are beginning to emerge now that their names have been released. Although there are still parents living in the unknown regarding the whereabouts of their children.
- Co-workers of the shooter and an ex-wife attest to the suspect’s mental state and propensity to rage in newly released statements and reports.
- The suspect’s father, Seddique Mateen has spoken to the media regarding his son and what he thinks drove this attack.
Out of the Mouths of Babes
If you think your kids are entering into their first relationships without much thought, you would be wrong. One 8th-grader drew up a relationship contract for her beau which was found on the floor of a classroom recently.
What were the terms of said contract?
For one, there were several references to how the young man may interact with the ‘hoes’ at the school. He was not allowed to look at the ‘hoes’ nor was he allowed to talk to them. However, fist bumping was a sanctioned way to interact with said ‘hoes’.
Additional stipulations included that if he broke her heart, she would break his face. Solid. Finally, only she was allowed to end the relationship, not the other way around and the boy was required to give lots of hugs, buy her food and talk to her all the time.
Let’s just say, this particular boy did not have solid negotiating skills. He signed willingly.
Hack it Up
Summer road trippin’ is on the horizon and we are absolutely enamored with these 10 tips that will keep the car (and us!) more organized on travel. Our favorites from the round-up of ideas included:
- Car Organization from I Heart Organizing. She shows us how she separates key items into designated pouches. From first aid to entertainment, she has it covered.
- This Junk in the Trunk organization system is one we plan to implement immediately. It’s brilliant and you could totally combine the pouches from I Heart Organizing into this system. She breaks down each and every road trip car need in her post and offers plenty of photos for all you visual learners.
- Leah Lusk is of the mindset that cars need love too and she offers up a fantastic way to organize that space between the drivers seat – with little divider trays. One tray for coins, one for your sunglasses, and one for gum or lip balm. Think about what you regularly keep in that space and give it a tray to live in!
Menu Planning Mastery
Every once in a while, it can be a challenge to get the ol’ bowels moving. Yes, we’re talking poo today because we’re here to help. So, how can you make sure you are regular? Get more fiber in your diet by giving these 18 foods a go. Being bound up is no good, just sayin’.
Our favorites from the list?
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Avocado, of course. Because guacamole and fancy recipes like this Miso-tahini Avocado Toast.
- Blackberries. We’re thinking we’ll go with this Blackberry Lemonade Margarita to go with our Guac. Win-win.
“When senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised, not one day, the show is proof that history remembers we lived through times that hate and fear seem stronger. We rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer and love is love is love is love is love is cannot be killed or swept aside. Now fill the world with music, love and pride.” –Lin-Manuel Miranda
DID YOU ENJOY WHAT YOU READ? PLEASE SHARE US WITH YOUR FRIENDS! WE’RE BRAND NEW AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THEM READ US. HELP GROW THE VILLAGE.
Did we miss a great story? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org